Re: Mailing list headers

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 05:51, Ryan M. Golbeck wrote:
> Just glancing at the RFC, it doesn't seem to say anything about that
> if the List-Post header is set replies should only go to the list.  So
> whether that tells your mailreader that the mail came from a list is
> really irrelevant, it doesn't tell you where to send replies.

It tells you where to send replies _if_ _you_ _want_ _to_ _reply_ _to_
_the_ _list_. The idea here is it's up to the user to decide whether
reply to the list or in private; List-Post tells the user's mailer where
to send to if the user chooses to reply to the list, and From tells the
user's mailer where to send to if the user chooses to reply in private.

That, in my opinion, is the best way of eliminating the problem of
private mails getting sent to the list and vice versa: you let the user
decide to reply to the sender or the list, and the mailer knows enough
to do both.

Alex.

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key