Re: Straw poll - cloud-init in base AMIs (was Re: cloud-init_0.7.1-3~bpo70+1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into wheezy-backports, wheezy-backports)

On May 4, 2013 11:22 AM, "Brian Gupta" <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
> Most Linux distros in common use on EC2 support it. In addition, cloud-init has been adopted by users of  private FLOSS cloud stacks, like OpenStack, and is considered at this point the "industry standard" for bootstrapping Linux images in many public and private IaaS clouds. (Seems GCE has it's own methods, but Rackspace, and Azure do support cloud-init.)

While you're right that Google Compute Engine doesn't currently support cloud-init, porting cloud-init over would be relatively simple if someone has the time. Maybe Charles Plessy would be interested based on his existing cloud-init experience? It could likely replace 2 or 3 of the Google-specific debs we put in our images.

It's not a problem if you don't have Compute Engine access yet - we can give gratis access for the purpose of improving or maintaining our Debian support, which would certainly be easier with fewer cloud-specific image differences. Even better if you'd want to join me in ongoing image releases and maintenance.

- Jimmy