Re: Cinnamon 5 bugfix packages

Il 20/11/2021 22:16, Joshua Peisach ha scritto:

> - do the new version in experimental so if urgent fix is needed in unstable can be done in master, when will be released to unstable a merge will be done

Yeah, I saw that once I pushed to menus. I hope it doesn’t mess anything up, but I’ll make sure for the rest as I move on the work is done is in experimental.

>- push debian/<version> should be done only when package will be uploaded to debian repo

> - missed push of upstream/<version> tag for latest cinnamon-menus
I’ll fix that real quickly, thanks

> - add ~ on version can help for testing packages and can do "faster" upgrade both with other test (like ~1...~2 ecc) and upgrade when definitive package will be released, and when will be released new build on debian will be removed

I don’t understand the point of this. Every team I’m apart of expects different things and has different expectations. Do I have to do this? I didn’t have to with the packages Norbert uploaded I changed.

I not mean is mandatory but facilitates updates during PRE-upload tests (build/install/upgrade/use) because tilde is "minor" in version compare (see for example backports), is something who had recommended me another DD years ago and it was useful indeed

> - bump standard version (mainly about other components more "big") I waited because is more important do deep check with https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.html and some components have some things (not easy/fast like some common and maybe even included in ?

> lintian controls) that need to be tested is still correctly needed, correctly working, or to be improved but I don't have enought time

- try to "fix" all lintian tags up to pedantic not always can be good, some should/must be override (if marked error or warning) or simply ignored, in some cases try to "fix" things spotted by lintian (even of things not really necessary ) can also cause bugs/unexpected cases (and not only "waste" time). I don't > say this because you caused problems, it doesn't seem to me, but only because I have seen over the years that it is often the cause of bugs/unexpected events (in general), I had made the same mistake too, now instead I try more to avoid change things if I don't know enough about it and/or I don't test > changes done in practice
Same thing-I’m not sure what the correct thing to do is. It feels like nowadays to sponsor a new package it is that everything must be perfectly lintian clean.

for what I remember for new packages don't need to be solved all lintian but the packaging must be good and in something, like debian/copyright for example is done more deep manual check (lintian don't spot all) and if found something don't procede (like what happen with one new cinnamon component package some years ago with one thing not spotted by lintian me and another DD)

anyway I don't mean don't solves lintian things but keep more attention, tests and in some cases don't waste time and/or risk (as I wrote I also did the same "error"), if I remember correctly even a few days ago I saw a DD on #debian-devel complaining about a problem caused by the "obsessive" attempt to "fix" all the lintians

sorry in case I don't explain well due to my bad english

>- about build options and flags years ago there was some bugs/unexpected cases in some components (I didn't remember what), probably with meson ports are fixed/improved (I mean on software itsself and not packaging) upstream but probably if something will be changed is better check always build logs if configure/use right (if not already done)

I’ve already fixed similar issues in the past, and I haven’t seen any regressions as a part of it so I’m not concerned.

Overall, @Norbert: What should I do? I understand the part with pushing to experimental, that was my bad, I forgot but about the ~ after the version and standards-version, what do you prefer?

-Josh