Re: Cinnamon 5 bugfix packages

Il 17/11/2021 19:06, Joshua Peisach ha scritto:
Your welcome, I’ll get to work on 5.2.0!

@Joshua: Thanks for your works, I saw your latest commits, only small advices:

- do the new version in experimental so if urgent fix is needed in unstable can be done in master, when will be released to unstable a merge will be done

- push debian/<version> should be done only when package will be uploaded to debian repo

- missed push of upstream/<version> tag for latest cinnamon-menus

- add ~ on version can help for testing packages and can do "faster" upgrade both with other test (like ~1...~2 ecc) and upgrade when definitive package will be released, and when will be released new build on debian will be removed

- bump standard version (mainly about other components more "big") I waited because is more important do deep check with https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.html and some components have some things (not easy/fast like some common and maybe even included in lintian controls) that need to be tested is still correctly needed, correctly working, or to be improved but I don't have enought time

- try to "fix" all lintian tags up to pedantic not always can be good, some should/must be override (if marked error or warning) or simply ignored, in some cases try to "fix" things spotted by lintian (even of things not really necessary ) can also cause bugs/unexpected cases (and not only "waste" time). I don't say this because you caused problems, it doesn't seem to me, but only because I have seen over the years that it is often the cause of bugs/unexpected events (in general), I had made the same mistake too, now instead I try more to avoid change things if I don't know enough about it and/or I don't test changes done in practice

- about build options and flags years ago there was some bugs/unexpected cases in some components (I didn't remember what), probably with meson ports are fixed/improved (I mean on software itsself and not packaging) upstream but probably if something will be changed is better check always build logs if configure/use right (if not already done)

From: Norbert Preining <norbert@preining.info>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 8:24:27 PM
To: Fabio Fantoni <fantonifabio@tiscali.it>
Cc: Joshua Peisach <itzswirlz2020@outlook.com>; Debian Cinnamon Team <debian-cinnamon@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Cinnamon 5 bugfix packages

Hi Fabio, hi Joshua,

> @Norbert: can you upload the new build of listed above (cinnamon, nemo,
> cinnamon-screensaver, xapp, muffin and cinnamon-session) to unstable when

Done that now.

I have also added Joshua to the Uploaders of the packages he has
changed.

master branches are pushed, I will push the tags after acceptance.

Thanks for both of your work!

Best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert                              https://www.preining.info
Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev