Re: Future of kFreeBSD in Debian unstable

Yavor Doganov writes:
> В Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:08:20 +0100, Axel Beckert написа:
>> I just read jcristau's mail: I don't see the difference between running
>> buildds for jessie-kfreebsd and sid. Why can the one continue while the
>> other can't/
>
> I don't understand either.  I guess DSA are upgrading the last hosts
> to stretch as jessie is nearing to EOL.  Or they need the machines for
> some other services.

There are no buildds for jessie-kfreebsd either (so no security updates
either).

Hardware resources shouldn't be a problem: I'm fairly sure the buildds
were VMs anyway.

>>> As kfreebsd-* are probably never going to to be release architectures
>>> due to systemd, maybe it is better to move the port to debian-ports.
>>
>> Wait! Debian runs fine without systemd. sysvinit has recently been
>> revived upstream and there's OpenRC which is doing fine on my boxes.
>
> My impression was that the release team would not bless an
> architecture if it doesn't use the default init system.  Also, certain
> sets of packages will not work properly without systemd.

kFreeBSD could have chosen to use another default init system.  I don't
think there is any requirement for this to be the same everywhere.  The
main problem was that there wasn't anyone willing / having time to
commit to kFreeBSD as far as I remember; not much will happen if that is
the case.

(Hurd was never a release architecture either, though I wouldn't be
surprised if someone was trying to blame systemd for that too ;-) )

Ansgar