Re: usplash in desktop task?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

> On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:58:55 -0300, Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> said:
>
>> Well, I respect your opinion while I continue to disagree. We ought to
>> attract the user and look-and-feel makes difference.
>
>         Why? Why should we try to be the microsoft of the Linux world?
>  Why should we put attracting users above everything else, such as
>  retaining our current technically qualified userbase?

We have a nice and high skilled userbase. Those, if dislike the
usplash/splashy idea can remove them.

We need to carry more new comers and without a nice look-and-feel it
won't happen.

>         This begins to sound like shot sighted corporate behaviour, when
>  they are watching stock markets.

I think it would be nice to grab more users and looks to be not only me.

>> IMHO, you need to get that major of users will be coming from Windows
>> World and then those "ugly texts while booting" worry them much more
>> then helps.
>
>         Are those our primary target audience?

Well, they're more then more then 80% of computer users, so I think we
need to think seriously about them, don't you?

>> Come on! For a regular user? Instead add kdm/gdm, cvs and
>> subversion. arch/tla is used by a too "select" group of people. ;-)
>
>         I still think we should be looking for excellence, not mere
>  popularity.  It is my belief that options I mentioned are superior to
>  the ones I deprecated. YMMV. But while what is superior is a matter of
>  subjective opinion, the principle that excellence is a goal to be put
>  above pandering to popularity is not.

Well, I agree that we should put exellence as a goal but the
excellence is subjective.

For a new user, his/her initial needs satisfied is exellence and I bet
he/her won't want to use tla on first day of linux experience ;-)

>>> Why should we be courting the airheads?
>
>> Because people has freedom to want a neat and beautiful system? This
>> is the majority of our users and remember: The users are the priority.
>
>         Why are the airhead users, as opposed to techical users, the
>  priority?

They aren't priority but they need to be considered too.

The smart people can remove the useless packages while the "airheads"
can be happy and maybe turn to be smart someday ;-)

... ah, and using Linux :P

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116