Re: usplash in desktop task?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

>          Why do you think the regular users are so much beneath you
>  that they are too dumb to handle information?

I don't. I think that if the user wants more information he'll likely
start to find out how to get it.

What, for a regular user, a boot message will say? He'll need to
research about it...

>> A hacker has the need knownledge to change his/her system to fulfill
>> the needs _after_ it gets installed or using the expert mode and
>> selection what'll be installed.
>
>         A novice has even more use for information, since they would not
>  know how to turn it on if they wanted it. Indeed, they might not even
>  know the information is so easily accessible, but is being suppressed
>  by 31337 hackers to prevent mere users from getting any information at
>  all.

Well, I respect your opinion while I continue to disagree. We ought to
attract the user and look-and-feel makes difference.

IMHO, you need to get that major of users will be coming from Windows
World and then those "ugly texts while booting" worry them much more
then helps.

>> If we'll start to use the hackism way of doing things while selecting
>> what's being installed by default I would then choose dwm (instead of
>> GNOME) and add some SCMs too ;-)
>
>         I think that xdm and arch/tla are good things to have, yes.

Come on! For a regular user? Instead add kdm/gdm, cvs and
subversion. arch/tla is used by a too "select" group of people. ;-)

>> Well, maybe because majority of users start to use a system because
>> they think it's beautiful and neat? :-D
>
>         Why should we be courting the airheads?

Because people has freedom to want a neat and beautiful system? This
is the majority of our users and remember: The users are the priority.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116