Re: usplash in desktop task?

On Tue, 08 May 2007 20:17:48 -0300, Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:
>>> However, who *really* uses that information in normal situations?
>>
>> Well, not all the world is exactly like you.  I routinely "use" the
>> information.

> While I agree that noone has same desires and needs I also think that
> the default installation should focus on _regular_ _user_ and not a
> hacker.

         Why do you think the regular users are so much beneath you
 that they are too dumb to handle information?

> A hacker has the need knownledge to change his/her system to fulfill
> the needs _after_ it gets installed or using the expert mode and
> selection what'll be installed.

        A novice has even more use for information, since they would not
 know how to turn it on if they wanted it. Indeed, they might not even
 know the information is so easily accessible, but is being suppressed
 by 31337 hackers to prevent mere users from getting any information at
 all.

> If we'll start to use the hackism way of doing things while selecting
> what's being installed by default I would then choose dwm (instead of
> GNOME) and add some SCMs too ;-)

        I think that xdm and arch/tla are good things to have, yes.

>>> So, why not offer them as easily as possible to our users? Which
>>> means, yes, activate them by default. That is certainly more
>>> marketing stuff than deeply useful stuff but marketing and appealing
>>> presentation also counts.
>>
>> I find this strange.  There is information presented to me durng
>> boot, which has some (perhaps marginal) value.  Pretty colors are
>> mostly contentless, so have _less_ value, at the very least, they
>> contribute nothing.
>>
>> Why should the default be an option with less value?

> Well, maybe because majority of users start to use a system because
> they think it's beautiful and neat? :-D

        Why should we be courting the airheads?

        manoj
--
"All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head." Thomas Alva
Edison