Re: usplash in desktop task?

> See for example Martin Krafft's blog:
> http://blog.madduck.net/debian/2007.05.08_a-lesson-learnt.xhtml
>
> I'd vote against making this default anyway; if I wanted Windows like
> obscurity of what my system does, I'd stayed with Windows and not
> switched to Linux.

I knew that (in French "je le savais"). I knew that writing this, I
would trigger that.

It is perfectly obvious for me that such things should be activated
only for systems that support them.

It is also perfectly obvious that nice boot environments tend to hide
information (this is indeed why they're nice). However, who *really*
uses that information in normal situations?

It is my understading that all such utilities offer a way to disable
the cute graphics/colors/whatever when needed (for instance when the
kernel crashes just like 2.6.20 crashes on my system as it seems).

So, why not offer them as easily as possible to our users? Which
means, yes, activate them by default. That is certainly more marketing
stuff than deeply useful stuff but marketing and appealing
presentation also counts.

So, what is your position about installing usplash with the desktop
task?