Re: usplash in desktop task?

On Tue, 8 May 2007 18:39:28 +0200, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> said:

> It is also perfectly obvious that nice boot environments tend to hide
> information (this is indeed why they're nice).

        This is very subjective. I, for one, do not find hiding
 information "nice".  The information produced is better than nothing;
 which is what pretty graphics usually are. If nothing else, it tells my
 how much crap I have installed, and has, in the past, induced me to
 clean up my machine.

> However, who *really* uses that information in normal situations?

        Well, not all the world is exactly like you.  I routinely "use"
 the information.

> It is my understading that all such utilities offer a way to disable
> the cute graphics/colors/whatever when needed (for instance when the
> kernel crashes just like 2.6.20 crashes on my system as it seems).

> So, why not offer them as easily as possible to our users? Which
> means, yes, activate them by default. That is certainly more marketing
> stuff than deeply useful stuff but marketing and appealing
> presentation also counts.

        I find this strange.  There is information presented to me durng
 boot, which has some (perhaps marginal) value.  Pretty colors are
 mostly contentless, so have _less_ value, at the very least, they
 contribute nothing.

        Why should the default be an option with less value?

        manoj
--
Isn't this my STOP?!