Re: partman-crypto: dm-crypt status update

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 08:09:36PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 07:06:55PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:

Testing with qemu, report follows:

separating the partitions as 32M, 1.1G and the rest lead to a proper
installation.

after reboot, I got an error as shown under
http://www.pumuki.org/~data/di/snapshot2.png

I will take a look at that part (looks like cryptsetup fails) and see if I can
help.

Botting and running cryptsetup manually ends in
http://www.pumuki.org/~data/di/snapshot3.png

The /etc/crypttab file reads:
crypt0 /dev/hda3 none luks

(libdevmapper part is fine).

Trying to create the device manually, using "cryptsetup create crypt0 /dev/hda3" works to create the device mapped to the
/dev/hda3  (http://www.pumuki.org/~data/di/snapshot4.png)

Formatting the filesystem helps to get it mounted, so that makes me believe
that the format part on the installer has some flaw...

Nope, just that it was created as a LUKS partition and you mounted it as a regular dm-crypt partition...different key => different content on disk

Frans Pop and I will probably start debugging the whole thing this afternoon
MX time.

The cryptsetup installed to /target will be completely b0rken until cryptsetup has been moved into unstable. The same goes for the newer base-installer and partman-crypto, so I don't think its time to start debugging just yet.

I've put up a testing image at
http://www.hardeman.nu/~david/files/crypto-netinst-hack.iso

which includes all the pending udebs and which is preseeded to use unstable for debs and udebs. It also fetches a cryptsetup deb from my web server and installs into target instead of the outdated one in unstablei (thus creating a proper working initramfs).

It's preseeded to not ask any questions except for partitioning, so you might not get the result you want on installation :) The root user will have the password "test".

I'd either use that for playing around, or wait for a few days until unstable, and thereby partman-crypto daily images include newer udebs.

Regards,
David