Re: partman-crypto: dm-crypt status update

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 11:15:00PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 09:59:05PM +0200, David Härdeman wrote:
Hi all,

Here's a short status update on the progress of adding dm-crypt support to partman-crypto.

The support is now at a stage where it is possible to perform a full crypto-on-root installation and to boot into the newly installed system.

GREAT!

I am testing it over here in Mexico and seems to work mostly fine (although I
have not been able to complete a single installation for other reasons).

There seems to be a bug somewhere, because sometimes it finds the lvm crypto
partition and sometimes it fails...

Hmm...lvm-on-crypto and crypto-on-lvm is currently untested. It's on my todo list now that the basic (i.e. crypto on a device like /dev/sda2) functionality works.

The only known bug so far is that the /target filesystem isn't cleanly unmounted when it's on an encrypted partition. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

No idea, but I guess you know that one has to delete the dm accessing the
partition before umounting it, right?

Um, not sure what you mean. If /dev/sda2 is setup via dm-crypt as /dev/mapper/crypt0 which is in turn mounted as /...then the teardown order should be first to unmount / and then to remove the crypt0 mapping. Since unmounting / wouldn't work very well, I'd expect it to be remounted ro, but it doesn't seem to work...ext2fsck complains on the first boot...

Re,
David