Re: I'm interested in helping with the installer "help text"

Quoting John Buttery (john@io.com):

> > So, if you have time to give to the d-i project, then proofreading the
> > debconf templates should be a good help.
>
>   Definitely; that's right up my alley.  One of my main ideas is that I
> always thought the help text should very explicitly state "this is what
> you should put in answer to this question if you don't understand the
> question and want the safest answer", so I'd like to work on that kind
> of thing...but, I'm not opposed to just doing simple proofreading
> without changing the content if that's what the project wants.  Is the
> goal to lean more toward "professional phrasing" or "informal if it
> helps convey the information"?  While I do kind of pride myself on being
> able to do both at once, sometimes they're a little mutually exclusive.

During the first proofreading phase, I have tried to have both
together. A "more professionnal" wording was sometimes
needed. However, as Joey stated the priority is being informative, not
too verbose...and precise...:-)

> > So you have the correct information for doing this (where to grab
> > templates files and son on)?
>
>   I don't have anything yet; the email you replied to was the first real
> interaction I've had with Debian (other than a couple of bug reports).

OK. There no real framework for proofreading user interaction
templates, contrary to translation stuff......

You should be able to grab the needed files from the CVS Web
interface.....or by checking out a local copy of the CVS repository on
your system. Do you need additionnel information for this or may I
just point you to "go to alioth.debian.org and look for the
debian-installer project"?

Templates files are located for each package, in the debian
directory. Their name is either "templates" alone....or
"package.templates". For some packages, templates are generated on the
fly, and the file to be proofread is "templates-in" (or something
similar).

There are a lot of packages in d-i, so a good order has to be
chosen. I suggest you to use the same order than suggested to
translators. Please refer to the file doc/translations.txt for getting
it.

Again, if you need more information on how to get the files, feel free
to ask.

When you have at least one file ready for proofreading, then go for
it, correct it with a text editor, then (at least for the first ones)
repost it there (if possible with a diff). For the first files, this
will allow us to share points of view about some user input
choices.....

(I hope I'm clear enough on all topics.....)