Re: I'm interested in helping with the installer "help text"

* Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> [2004-01-30 07:01:36 +0100]:
> OK. There no real framework for proofreading user interaction
> templates, contrary to translation stuff......

  OK...well, I guess we'll either figure out it's not necessary, or
flesh one out during this process.  :)

> You should be able to grab the needed files from the CVS Web
> interface.....or by checking out a local copy of the CVS repository on
> your system. Do you need additionnel information for this or may I
> just point you to "go to alioth.debian.org and look for the
> debian-installer project"?

  I found the debian-installer project, and I'm in the CVSWeb interface,
but I can't seem to figure out which files you want me to edit.  What's
the CVS module name to check out?  It looks like it might be 'd-i',
which would give me the entire project tree...bit of overkill just to
get the docs but I don't really mind, I have plenty of HD space.  :)

> Templates files are located for each package, in the debian
> directory. Their name is either "templates" alone....or
> "package.templates". For some packages, templates are generated on the
> fly, and the file to be proofread is "templates-in" (or something
> similar).

  Will the "templates-in" file be in the same directory as the
[package.]templates file (if it exists)?  So basically, I edit
templates-in if it's there, otherwise package.templates or templates?

> There are a lot of packages in d-i, so a good order has to be
> chosen. I suggest you to use the same order than suggested to
> translators. Please refer to the file doc/translations.txt for getting
> it.

  OK.  Just to be clear, this is the document you're referring to:

http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/debian-installer/doc/translations.txt?rev=1.14&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=d-i

  Based on this file, my selection of "first file to examine" is:

http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/debian-installer/tools/languagechooser/debian/templates-in?rev=1.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=d-i

  There's only really one sentence in there to examine, and I don't see
any way to improve that one, but the point is I want to double-check the
logic of navigating the CVS tree to the right files.

> Again, if you need more information on how to get the files, feel free
> to ask.

  I think I've got it, but you may be hearing from me again. :)

> When you have at least one file ready for proofreading, then go for
> it, correct it with a text editor, then (at least for the first ones)
> repost it there (if possible with a diff). For the first files, this
> will allow us to share points of view about some user input
> choices.....

   OK.  Is "diff -u" the preferred format?

--
  John  !
 Buttery! UNIX - The OS where you can throw the manual on the keyboard