Re: beta 2 update

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:21:18PM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> But asking the same novice installer to chose between

> 	/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> and
> 	/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

> for installing the boot sector is?

No, but that's the best we have right now.  The fact that devfs names
are an unholy usability terror doesn't justify other usability
degradations.  Picking a non-default boot loader is definitely an
expert-only feature, which is why an expert mode exists.

> >>I tried the sarge netinst CD of this morning: There was no
> >>choice whether I want to get Lilo or Grub. After installing
> >>the base packets it requested to write a boot sector using
> >>Lilo. I could not even cancel this operation. IMHO this should
> >>be changed.

> >This is when booting in expert mode (DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium)?

> My point is that I could not skip writing a boot sector (without
> setting DEBCONF_PRIORITY, of course). Sorry, but I still don't
> think that this is OK. It should be possible to keep the Windows
> boot sector in place, for example.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the option to write the boot block to
the beginning of the newly-installed partition, instead of to the MBR,
even when installing at the default debconf priority.

> I never liked M$ Windows overwriting the boot sector without
> confirmation, either.

> BTW, would it be too late to list DEBCONF_PRIORITY in F7.txt?

Well, F3.txt already documents the 'expert' boot option, which sets
DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low for you.  I suppose there'd be some benefit to
users if they know they could set DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium for something
in between.  Actually, I would go so far as to suggest 'expert' should
be DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium, and DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low should be reserved
for those who've figured out it's there without being displayed
prominently in the isolinux help screens. :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer