Re: beta 2 update

[Joey Hess]
> Are you talking about the reported freeze in serial console after
> languagechooser, or just a general, non-user-visible cleanup?

I am talking about a general non-user-visible cleanup, to make sure
kbd-chooser, lilo-installer, grub-installer (and possibly other
packages) use common information regarding the current console, to
make it easier to handle serial console and also make sure the
information used is consistent.

It might be related to the console lockup, but I still do not
understand that problem, so I have no idea.

> The latter is not user visible, and like many random developmental
> changes, is not something we will hold the beta for, or allow into
> the beta. You have had 2 months since the last beta to make these
> changes.

Actually, I haven't had two monts to do that.  For a long time in this
period, I was unable to use the CVS because the debian servers had
been broken into, and then later Chrismas came along, and after
chrismas I was unable to use the CVS for a shorter period because
alioth went offline.

And besides, as you probably are aware, I have spend the time since
beta two working on other parts of d-i.  Now I see the need for
cleanup and polishing, and experience that I am unable to get such
fixes into d-i before the sarge release.  Your comment about freezing
the udebs in unstable made me conclude that I would be unable to get
these fixes into d-i before the sarge release.

> I am not aware of any packages stuck in the NEW queue; I have in
> fact worked with several of the ftp-masters to get dozens of
> packages through NEW with no delays over the past two weeks.

Ok, that sounds good.  The reason I assume there are still packages
stuck in the NEW queue, is that I have a few months-old uploads
(non-di-related) stuck in the NEW queue, and I assumed the ftp-masters
processed all entries in the NEW queue the same way.

Another issue is the fact that several installation-related packages
in unstable need to propagate to testing, and some of the need new
uploads to include all the available translations.  I am at least
noticing packages base-config and shadow, but suspect there are others
as well.