Re: [WOODY] Need sugestion for Floppy-Install

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:32:28PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2003-11-02 21:07:34, schrieb Alastair McKinstry:
>
> >How much memory does the machine have?
>
> I have increased the most machines to 16 MBytes but I try to get
> more memory-Modules in Germany to upgrade to 24 or 32 MBytes.
>
> Debian works great with 32 MBytes if a litle bit optimized.

I use 486DX's with 16-32MB for firewalls and test
machines. I'm running 2.6.0-t5 with sid on one test
machine right now; another is a firewall for my
office running woody and 2.4.22 with freeswan.

They're perfectly reasonable machines for those sorts
of jobs.

I do recommend you install the way I do though: I do
use an NFS boot floppy and rsync the system onto the
harddrive. They nearly fall over if you attempt a
dselect...

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org