Re: [WOODY] Need sugestion for Floppy-Install

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 17:10, Christian Leber wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:04:35PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
> > I am working on a very difficult Job in near east ans need the
> > Floppy-Installation.
>
> Customer lives in a little cave without internet, cd-roms, usb, firewire,
> free ide/scsi connectors or ethernet?

> If it's absolutly the only way to install with floppies, then i would
> make the install on a computer that can access some real medium and then
> tar.bz2 everything to a stack of floppies.
>
> btw. ZIP drives are really cool, they are 100 MB in size and do about
> 100 kb/s when connected to parallel port... ok, this was nice in 1995

How much memory does the machine have?

I did a test install with d-i some months ago, and success
fully installed via plip. This is why we have plip-modules ... for
parallel port networking.

I had planned on boosting the floppy support in d-i to allow a
full-floppy install on the i386 machine I was using (this was before the
i386 support was dropped); I realised that plip networking was
simpler than 140 floppies. I haven't tested it in months, though.

BTW, I also had an Irda install working, at least to loading d-i modules
over net stage: irda from one laptop to another. Again, not tested since
around March/April, but should work. Needs documentation, though.

- Alastair McKinstry