I18N roadmap [was: i18n requires setlocale]

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:52:42AM +0200, Martin Sjögren wrote:

> No, but isn't that the point of separating sv_SE.UTF-8 from
> sv_SE.ISO-8859-1? gettext does the conversion on the fly, so all
> gettext-using programs work just fine. Debconf doesn't. (yet)

To sum up then:

 - for udebs, we:
   * make the templates.ll files in whatever encoding we like
   * recode (say using iconv) the templates.ll to UTF-8 when creating
     the "combined" templates file
   * simply copy the strings read from templates (now in UTF-8) to
     output at run time. That way cdebconf [1] doesn't need huge
     conversion tables.
   * only run cdebconf (and thus whole debian-installer) in bterm [2]

 - for debs (base system), we:
   * make the templates.ll files in whatever encoding
   * either recode them or not when concatening
   * use iconv at run time in debconf - see the script in
     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=148490&repeatmerged=yes
     [3]

1. Am I right that cdebconf handles the templates in debian-installer?

2. Is this possible on all architectures? I mean: do all architectures
   use framebuffer?
   That also means that bterm will be "Essential" in debian-installer,
   since we won't be able to output any localized text without it.

3. That will make debconf depend on libtext-iconv-perl, though and force
   its inclusion into base system. Is that acceptable?

Did I get it right?

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216