I18N roadmap [was: i18n requires setlocale]
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:52:42AM +0200, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> No, but isn't that the point of separating sv_SE.UTF-8 from
> sv_SE.ISO-8859-1? gettext does the conversion on the fly, so all
> gettext-using programs work just fine. Debconf doesn't. (yet)
To sum up then:
- for udebs, we:
* make the templates.ll files in whatever encoding we like
* recode (say using iconv) the templates.ll to UTF-8 when creating
the "combined" templates file
* simply copy the strings read from templates (now in UTF-8) to
output at run time. That way cdebconf  doesn't need huge
* only run cdebconf (and thus whole debian-installer) in bterm 
- for debs (base system), we:
* make the templates.ll files in whatever encoding
* either recode them or not when concatening
* use iconv at run time in debconf - see the script in
1. Am I right that cdebconf handles the templates in debian-installer?
2. Is this possible on all architectures? I mean: do all architectures
That also means that bterm will be "Essential" in debian-installer,
since we won't be able to output any localized text without it.
3. That will make debconf depend on libtext-iconv-perl, though and force
its inclusion into base system. Is that acceptable?
Did I get it right?
Marcin Owsiany <email@example.com> http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216 FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75 D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216