Re: i18n requires setlocale

mån 2002-09-09 klockan 11.38 skrev Junichi Uekawa:
> > > ISO-8859-? for most european countries, EUC-JP in Japan,
> > > and so on.
> > >
> > > Not what your environment variable holds.
> >
> > Hmm. I meant to ask whether "or am I cursed with Latin1 because I happen
> > to live in western Europe?" (but I must've forgotten it somehow) which
> > it seems I am. So my conversion to sv_SE.UTF-8 was pretty much in vain,
> > then. Dang.
>
> If everything in sv_SE was UTF-8 from the beginning (which sounds
> pretty unlikely), then yes...

No, but isn't that the point of separating sv_SE.UTF-8 from
sv_SE.ISO-8859-1? gettext does the conversion on the fly, so all
gettext-using programs work just fine. Debconf doesn't. (yet)

> > Where is this table of known encodings? I mean, where does debconf
> > define the sv -> Latin1 mapping?
>
> I think that was in one of the patches against debconf,
> Tomohiro Kubota posted such a list in debian-devel
>
> Thread on "Debconf-i18n" on July 2002 in debian-devel, and
> http://bugs.debian.org/148490 are good examples.

Yes, I've read the bug info (I also notice that sv is missing), but this
uses iconv so even if iconv can be used by cdebconf, it can't be used by
d-i on that single floppy. I will look at the d-d thread, thanks.

Regards,
Martin