Re: i18n requires setlocale

sön 2002-09-08 klockan 13.59 skrev Junichi Uekawa:
> Hi,
>
> i18n of messages and other things require setlocale.
> AFAIK there are no call to setlocale in the sources.
>

> Adding
>
>   setlocale(LC_ALL,"");
>
> to start of each main() should be enough.

I've been thinking the same thing. However, the i18n support is pretty
hazy as it is:

* main-menu asks debconf for debian-installer/language which afaict
doesn't exist. IMO it would be better if the thing that asked for
debian-installer/language first, sets LANG=$language after that, so
setlocale can be used.
* The Packages file parsing didn't support Description-ll_CC, only
Description-ll (something I'm working on fixing) and I'm not sure about
cdebconf as I get lost in the source code when I try to have a look.
* Not all templates are in UTF-8.
* debconf TITLE commands aren't translated at all.
* Should we even use debconf i18n (which is pretty limited) or po files
as per gettext?
* How much i18n can we (and how much do we want to) fit on the floppy?

That's just a list on top of my head, there are probably more issues
than this.

Regards,
Martin