Re: i18n requires setlocale

> * main-menu asks debconf for debian-installer/language which afaict
> doesn't exist. IMO it would be better if the thing that asked for
> debian-installer/language first, sets LANG=$language after that, so
> setlocale can be used.
> * The Packages file parsing didn't support Description-ll_CC, only
> Description-ll (something I'm working on fixing) and I'm not sure about
> cdebconf as I get lost in the source code when I try to have a look.
> * Not all templates are in UTF-8.

No templates should be in UTF-8.
They need to be converted from their local encoding to
the UTF-8 on the fly, or on creation of udebs.

> * Should we even use debconf i18n (which is pretty limited) or po files
> as per gettext?

It should probably be worked on by Tomohiro Kubota, on the
real debconf...

We used po files for boot-floppies, and I think it was quite easy to
maintain, as far as po files went. But I'm used to po files.

I gather that many people are used to maintaining debconf
templates, so it shouldn't make much difference.

> * How much i18n can we (and how much do we want to) fit on the floppy?

That is why udebootstrap may be required.

Note that debian-installer goes very far back from boot-floppies in
respect to i18n.

boot-floppies worked around the size constraints by loading
locale information from file on CD-Rom, if it was available.
(xlp.tgz).

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4