Re: Post-woody

* "Chris Tillman"

| > sure.  Note that this is part of the ?consistency and polish? thing,
| > it's not needed for d-i to actually be able to do it's work.  It's
| > needed in order not to confuse the user.
|
| My .02: By definition the installer is most new users' first contact
| with Debian. We should not consider it to be 'working' if it confuses
| the user.

I totally agree, and I see that it was easy to misunderstand what I
meant.  I am not trying to say that the user experience is low
priority, rather the reverse.  However, some basic things have to be
in place before we can begin to test usability in a sane manner.  We
can't use a easy-to-use installer which doesn't install anything and
any testing will in reality be void.  Having an installer with a bad
UI still allows us to test whether the programs work as they should.
(Things like having DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 in /sbin/debian-installer is a HCI
nightmare, but it's there for debugging until d-i gets a bit more
stable. :)

I hope this clears things up.

| Also, from a purely software engineering perspective, it's much easier
| to build in a hook you don't need now than to retrofit a capability
| you knew you needed later. IMHO at this point we should be building
| as many hooks as possible, since this code will undoubtedly have a
| life of many years.

true.

still, saying that «all frontends must be i18n-ed» now is a bit early,
though we want to arrive there in the end. :)

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-