Re: Post-woody

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 03:14:26PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> *  (Denis Barbier)
>
> | On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 01:29:35PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | [...]
> | > Right now there is a ncurses and a slang frontend, I am not sure of
> | > the state of those, but it should be possible to link the better of
> | > them against something-utf8 or create a newt-utf8 frontend.
> |
> | It would also be desirable to only support i18n-ed frontends, having
> | English text (Yes/No/Back/Cancel etc.) in buttons is confusing:
> | translators do not know if they have to write English or translated
> | strings in descriptions, because displayed labels depend upon the
> | user selected frontend.
>
> The way I have implemented the i18n is that they will fall back to
> non-translated strings if a translated string is not found.  I don't
> see why the frontends shouldn't use the same method of getting the
> translations as well.

I do not understand your answer, sorry.

Consider the cvs/pserver template from cvs.templates:
  Template: cvs/pserver
  Type: boolean
  Default: false
  [...]
   CVS pserver will be installed in inetd, using tcpd wrappers if you answer
   "yes" to this question.

As a translator, I cannot decide whether the 'yes' word has to be translated
or not, because button label depends upon the selected frontend, it might be
either 'yes' or its translation.
For instance whiptail is not i18n-ed, so when a German user has selected
dialog frontend, he is told to click on the 'Ja' button which does not exist!
In order to avoid this annoyance, I suggested to only accept i18n-ed
frontends.

Denis