Re: #103302 ask permission before erasing /var/cache/apt/archives

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:40:05AM -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:

> > >     Ethan> we are not talking about this, we are talking about
> > >     Ethan> base-config rm -rf'ing /var/cache/apt WITHOUT ASKING.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... Maybe I misunderstood something, but my impression from the
> > > bug report is that base-config does ask if /var/cache/apt should get
> > > removed, but then ignores the answer and deletes /var/cache/apt
> > > anyway.
> >
> > no it never asks.  dselect on the other hand will, but regardless of
> > your answer to dselect base-config turns around and rm -rf's it anyway.
>
> Would it be sufficient to require that users who want to preserve
> the contents of /var/cache/apt run dselect, indicate that they
> would like these files be preserved, and that base-config respect
> their answer?

no it should ask for both tasksel and dselect, either that or only ask
for tasksel and never delete if you choose dselect (leave it up to
dselect to decide).

> I'd submit a patch, but I can't seem to determine where dselect
> asks, nor how base-config can access this information.  Does
> anyone know the text of question, so that I can find it in the
> dpkg sources?

use dselect to install any package and you will see it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/