Re: #103302 ask permission before erasing /var/cache/apt/archives

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 12:51:42AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:

> >     Ethan> we are not talking about this, we are talking about
> >     Ethan> base-config rm -rf'ing /var/cache/apt WITHOUT ASKING.
> >
> > Hmmm... Maybe I misunderstood something, but my impression from the
> > bug report is that base-config does ask if /var/cache/apt should get
> > removed, but then ignores the answer and deletes /var/cache/apt
> > anyway.
>
> no it never asks.  dselect on the other hand will, but regardless of
> your answer to dselect base-config turns around and rm -rf's it anyway.

Would it be sufficient to require that users who want to preserve
the contents of /var/cache/apt run dselect, indicate that they
would like these files be preserved, and that base-config respect
their answer?

I'd submit a patch, but I can't seem to determine where dselect
asks, nor how base-config can access this information.  Does
anyone know the text of question, so that I can find it in the
dpkg sources?

Matt