Re: #103302 ask permission before erasing /var/cache/apt/archives

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:53:13PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Othmar Pasteka <pasteka@kabsi.at> writes:
>
> > just something what everyboday should know if he/she doesn'T know
> > it yet, i was bitten by it and i am pissed :/.
>
> Why not take that anger and turn it constructive energy, like a patch?
> I'm sure the base-config maintainer would be pleased.

i don't blame him for being pissed, software silently rm -rf'ing huge
ammounts of data without permission is highly evil.

i also don't blame him for being pissed when he went to file a bug and
obviously found one already there, one that has been ignored for 130
days, and even closed once for no good reason.

> FYI, "important" doesn't mean that release will be blocked for this
> bug.  We might want to upgrade the 3 base-config Important bugs to
> "serious"?

good idea.

since the maintainer of base-config has demonstrated a complete
unwillingness to fix this bug I am prepared to commit a patch to
boot-floppies baseconfig.c to ask the user if they wish for .debs to
be removed or not, if they do not, the relevant code that silently
removes them will be deleted from the base-config install in /target/

this is of course not the correct solution, the correct solution is
for the base-config maintainer to cooperate and fix this, but if he
refuses to be useful we shall have to fix it another way (unless
someone wishes to NMU and reNMU when new versions revert the fix.)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/