Translation statistics

søndag den 18. november 2001 15:27 skrev Philip Blundell:
> >I'm not confident, that it is fair that e.g. Japan is ranking that low on
> >the list.
> According to http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=JPN there are
126 million Japanese speakers worldwide, against about 5.5 million for
Danish.

You got my point :-)

> Even here in Europe, it looks to me like Swedish might have a stronger case
for inclusion than Danish.

Yes, you are right. I do not know how tight we need to prioritize. I vote for
Swedish too. They both have dbootstrap and the boot disk text files
translated, and quite well updated (se below).

> One other thing: some of the translations look like they might be out of
date.
> Here's a summary of the PO-Revision-Dates from the .po files.  I don't know

I have added the number of translated stings to your list below. dbootstrap
currently (CVS) contain 769 translatable strings. I know it's a bit unfair; I
updated the da.po yesterday :-)

Code     date           translated up-to-date strings (out of 769)
> ca      2001-10-15  774
> cs      2000-11-30  471
> da      2001-11-15   768
> de      2001-08-21  766
> eo      2000-12-19  484
> es      2000-11-30  663
> fi      2000-12-17  489
> fr      1999-03-21  450
> gl      2001-10-07  769
> hr      2001-09-01  680
> hu      2001-01-01  643
> it      1999-11-16  230
> ja      2001-10-29  568
> ko      2001-08-05  623
> pl      2001-05-17  526
> pt      2000-07-10  577
> ru      2001-11-14  529
> sk      ?               219
> sv      2001-10-22  766
> tr      2001-17-03  484
> zh      2001-01-15  488

Someone with CVS-access should update the po-files:
# rm dbootstrap.pot
# make dbootstrap.pot
# make update-po

(the numbers above was found after such an update by issuing
'msgformat --statistics xx.po')

Based on the numbers above, I would suggest removing sk and it immediatly
from the internationalised boot floppies in any case, since two thirds of the
strings will appear in english anyway. (Or better, of course, update these
translations).
Even the ja and pl users must find it very messy to use the mixed language
interface, and prefer to go with the english one for now.

Regarding the syslinux boot messages, the translations of e.g. debian.txt on
the rescue floppy have only been touched by a few languages since the
original english one was edited at June 5., namlely:
sv, ko, de, gl and da.

The figure is even worse for the install manual. *No* languages but fr, de
and da have touched welcome.sgml since February!

I hope this can encourage other translators to update the support for their
languages. Some may simply have waited for the next release to come closer
before doing this. Well, it seems it is just around the corner now!

--
Claus Hindsgaul