Re: Updates to busybox

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 07:53:12PM +0200 Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> The bootdisk will copy the 2.2 kernel and if you downgrade the kernel
> a lot will break. You won´t have swap and you won´t even be able to
> mount any ext2 partition. Even if you get the linux to ever boot with
> a 2.0 kernel several basic tools will fail.

True. The problem is that (AFAIK) 2.0.xx will still ship with potato,
along with various 2.2 kernels. A person could, after installation,
install a 2.0 kernel and to accomodate this, it would be nice if
during the installation they were given the option of creating 2.0 or
2.2-compatible filesystems/swap areas.

> If you want a 2.0 kernel, you need slink. Potato just won´t work, so
> we should not care too much about such problems. A note somewhere
> should be fine.

But if we're shipping 2.0 as part of the distro, we should try and
accomodate it as much as possible (within limits of course). If 2.0
is being dropped for potato, my whole argument falls away of course
and I'll go and sit in the corner and keep quiet :)

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner          | http://www.edr.uct.ac.za/~mj/
mj@phantom.eri.uct.ac.za     | Linux @ UCT -> http://www.leg.uct.ac.za/