Re: Updates to ash and busybox

On Tue Oct 19, 1999 at 03:11:26AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> >On Tue Oct 19, 1999 at 02:05:49AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >> /bin/true and /bin/false can be smaller, and be shell scripts....
> >
> >Hmm.  Smaller than:
> >
> >    extern int
>      [...]
>
> Yes.  See the rather elaborate discussions at
> <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/39/39190.html>.

Hmm.  I'll think about it, but I'm not sure this is the way I want
to go.  I'll take a look at these and see what I can see.

> Maybe some kinda funky 'telinit' argument?

Also a possibility. I'll see what I can brew up today to accomodate such
a thing.

> Regarding other issues, I went over the stuff and the only thing that
> jumped out was whether it would be possible to have a fake 'man'
> command.... I dont' think this is doable, however, w/o groff...

Ugh. I think we'll probably want to pass on this one. If folks want
"man", I think there are other sources of info than the boot floppies
(or in my case other sources of info than an embedded system). It would
be possable to run man pages through a de-groff-tagger and then through
more, but I think that would just encourage bloat. What happens if every
binary on the boot floppies is required (by policy) to have a man page.
Ugh.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/