Re: Updates to busybox

Michael-John Turner <mj@energetic.uct.ac.za> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 12:23:52PM -0600 Erik Andersen wrote:
> > Ok.  I just got mkswap merged from the latest util-linux, so
> > there is now support for mondo sized swap partitions.
>
> Has it been decided what kernels will ship with potato? I'm a little
> worried that someone may install a 2.0.xx kernel after creating a > 128M
> swap partition, which will cause grief. Perhaps there should be a warning

If you create and need a swap partition of > 128 MB of size you will
have more than 32 MB of real ram or you have to much time and bad
ears. But even with 16 MB real ram you should be able to fix a broken
swap partition.

> about installing such a kernel if a large swap partition is found? The
> -v0 option to mkswap may have to be used here to force an old-style swap
> area (to handle situations where potato is installed using 2.2 kernel
> bootdisks but a 2.0 kernel is installed).

The bootdisk will copy the 2.2 kernel and if you downgrade the kernel
a lot will break. You won´t have swap and you won´t even be able to
mount any ext2 partition. Even if you get the linux to ever boot with
a 2.0 kernel several basic tools will fail.

If you want a 2.0 kernel, you need slink. Potato just won´t work, so
we should not care too much about such problems. A note somewhere
should be fine.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin