Re: Updates to ash and busybox

On Sat Sep 25, 1999 at 01:18:34AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> > Any feature requests from the boot floppy team?
>
> Well, I dunno.  I'll look thru the boot-floppies bug reports and see
> what is to be seen.

So, any more busybox feature requests? I have a version of busybox that
I feel is ready to release (I could use some more folks pounding on it).
It has some major enhancements (i.e. mount /dev/<foo> / -t minix -o
(not just regular files either), and the tar implementation doesn't suck
anymore. I'm working on integrating the changes from the boot-floppies
CVS archive at the moment and hope to finish integrating those changes
tomorrow at work.

To integrate this new version into the boot-floppies there where will
need to be a few changes made though... For example, rather than
hacking init in busybox, it would be much better to run dbootstrap from
/etc/init.d/rcS, which init runs on boot. In some cases the syntax of
some of the busybox commands has changed to be like the GNU versions.

> > Yes, could you point me to the CVS archive? Is anonymous access
> > available via pserver or ssh, or will I need an account? I'll be glad to
> > make up a diff for you...
>
> If you have an account on va, you can use that.  Otherwise, yes, anon
> pserver is also availble.  See the included file.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Thanks, sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. Busybox has been
on my plate at work -- along with a bunch of other stuff... It is now
on the top of my plate though. Anyway, I'd dearly love to get this
integrated into the latest and greatest debian boot-floppies. My version
is exactly the same size (63k) for the same command set (plus grep, plus
chroot, plus a new tar implementation that doesn't suck). I can't tell
you how many times I've wish chroot was on the recue disk... You know,
chroot could even be used for a reboot-free install -- just chroot to
the newly installed partition...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/