Re: Updates to ash and busybox

Erik Andersen <andersen@xmission.com> writes:

> On Sat Sep 25, 1999 at 01:18:34AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Well, I dunno.  I'll look thru the boot-floppies bug reports and see
> > what is to be seen.

Argh... sorry I didn't do this.

> So, any more busybox feature requests?

/bin/true and /bin/false can be smaller, and be shell scripts....

I don't know if mkswap is fully sparc compatible yet...  Something
about v1 vs v2 filesystems.

> I have a version of busybox that
> I feel is ready to release (I could use some more folks pounding on it).
> It has some major enhancements (i.e. mount /dev/<foo> / -t minix -o
> (not just regular files either), and the tar implementation doesn't suck
> anymore. I'm working on integrating the changes from the boot-floppies
> CVS archive at the moment and hope to finish integrating those changes
> tomorrow at work.

Excellent -- sounds good.

> To integrate this new version into the boot-floppies there where will
> need to be a few changes made though... For example, rather than
> hacking init in busybox, it would be much better to run dbootstrap from
> /etc/init.d/rcS, which init runs on boot. In some cases the syntax of
> some of the busybox commands has changed to be like the GNU versions.

This sounds good... make it configurable, because debian uses
/etc/rc.boot, not /etc/rc.S IIRC.

> Thanks, sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. Busybox has been
> on my plate at work -- along with a bunch of other stuff... It is now
> on the top of my plate though. Anyway, I'd dearly love to get this
> integrated into the latest and greatest debian boot-floppies. My version
> is exactly the same size (63k) for the same command set (plus grep, plus
> chroot, plus a new tar implementation that doesn't suck). I can't tell
> you how many times I've wish chroot was on the recue disk... You know,
> chroot could even be used for a reboot-free install -- just chroot to
> the newly installed partition...

Amazing convergance!  We were recently talking about having init have
the ability to exec/chroot?  If we had this, we could conceivably have
a "bootless installation" -- once you've installed the base system,
you could just chroot your init over to the target system, and keep
chugging...