Re: Towards a Debian for minimalists

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2016-07-17 15:17:57)
> Quoting Richard Owlett (2016-07-17 14:39:33)
>> On 7/17/2016 6:42 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>> Quoting Richard Owlett (2016-07-17 13:14:24)
>>>
>>> In case it was not clear from my previous posts: I have *no*
>>> interest in your experiments with disabling recommends, not matter
>>> the outcome.
>>
>> But the results will guide me in choosing whether or not to pursue
>> the issue. If they turn out as I expect, it will point out a problem
>> with either how recommends is implemented or how it is documented. My
>> logical quandary is "If recommends must always be active, why aren't
>> they in depends?"

Tonight I nailed an issue caused by suppressed package recommendations:
https://bugs.debian.org/831502

Reporting bugs for systems deliberately broken wastes time!

You are free to sidestep Debian logics, but beware that doing so renders
your system broken in from the POV of Debian - no matter if in your POV
it works fine.  Please pretty please don't.

I suppress some recommendations, but carefully consider each single case
- I would love to help inspect single cases with you but general
suppression is literally nonsense.

 - Jonas