Re: Towards a Debian for minimalists

Quoting Richard Owlett (2016-07-17 14:39:33)
> On 7/17/2016 6:42 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Richard Owlett (2016-07-17 13:14:24)
> >> Over the next week or so I will do a series of manual installs
> >> that will begin with a standard CLI setup then use apt-get to
> >> install Mate:
> >>     1. using standard metapackages (with recommends activated)
> >>     2. using standard metapackages (with recommends DE-activated)
> >>     3. using chosen components of Mate (with recommends activated)
> >>     4. using chosen components of Mate (with recommends DE-activated)
> >
> > In case it was not clear from my previous posts: I have *no* interest in
> > your experiments with disabling recommends, not matter the outcome.
>
> But the results will guide me in choosing whether or not to
> pursue the issue. If they turn out as I expect, it will point out
> a problem with either how recommends is implemented or how it is
> documented. My logical quandary is "If recommends must always be
> active, why aren't they in depends?"

> >> If everything required to experiment with boxer is on the DVD's,
> >> I'll try it also.
> >
> > An old version of Boxer in included with Jessie, but development happens
> > in testing/unstable, even development targeted Jessie.  It makes little
> > sense to play with Boxer in stable except for the work already finalized
> > for that (which is only DebianParl - based on Xfce, not Mate).
> >
> > I recommend to explore Boxer in a testing/unstable environment, and can
> > help guide you on how to create such an environment within a Jessie
> > system.  Tell me if that is of interest to you.
>
> Anything requiring installing testing/unstable/etc is *OUT*. I am
> bandwidth *LIMITED*.
> That is why I install ONLY from purchased DVD sets.

You do *not* need testing/unstable to *use* a Boxer system profile, but
*development* is done on testing or unstable.

If you you insist on using purely stable Debian - even for *developing*
what you are seeking, then I believe this list is the wrong place for
your scriblings.

> I strongly suspect I want an alternative to the installer, not to
> boxer. In several places the the installer asks either the
> "wrong" question, or in the "wrong" order.

Stable Debian is stable - i.e. does not change behaviour.  Any changes
to Debian will happen in *unstable* and become *next* stable.

Your help improving Debian is much appreciated.  If your interest is in
improving stable Debian but without using Debian unstable to do it, then
I can only conclude that you are *deriving* from Debian.  See
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives for inspiration.

 - Jonas