Re: Towards a Debian for minimalists

Quoting Richard Owlett (2016-07-17 13:14:24)
> Over the next week or so I will do a series of manual installs
> that will begin with a standard CLI setup then use apt-get to
> install Mate:
>    1. using standard metapackages (with recommends activated)
>    2. using standard metapackages (with recommends DE-activated)
>    3. using chosen components of Mate (with recommends activated)
>    4. using chosen components of Mate (with recommends DE-activated)

In case it was not clear from my previous posts: I have *no* interest in
your experiments with disabling recommends, not matter the outcome.

> If everything required to experiment with boxer is on the DVD's,
> I'll try it also.

An old version of Boxer in included with Jessie, but development happens
in testing/unstable, even development targeted Jessie.  It makes little
sense to play with Boxer in stable except for the work already finalized
for that (which is only DebianParl - based on Xfce, not Mate).

I recommend to explore Boxer in a testing/unstable environment, and can
help guide you on how to create such an environment within a Jessie
syste.  Tell me if that is of interest to you.

 - Jonas