Re: Towards a Debian for minimalists

Quoting Richard Owlett (2016-07-15 13:29:45)
>>> I started similar threads in 2014.
>    primarily https://lists.debian.org/5471F258.5020200@cloud85.net
>    also      http://lists.debian.org/521F660F.4070008@cloud85.net

Ahh, I didn't recognize your name (sorry!), but certainly remember our
previous conversations. :-)

Last words from you was "I'll try it." about Boxer.  I am curious how
that went.

>>> As an example of where I'm headed I've done two Squeeze instals
>>> [enough has changed with Jessie that I've not accomplished comparisons
>>> yet ;]
>>>
>>> Counting all applications entries under "Applications" there are:
>>>    11 entries for my minimal Squeeze install [1.5 GB on disk]
>>>    67 entries for a default Squeeze install  [3.0 GB on disk]
>>
>> What do you mean by "entries"?
>

> In the top left of the GUI is a top level menu titled "Applications".
> Below that are multiple sub-menus.
> My 'totals' are clickable items in lowest submenus.

Thanks: Now that you mention the keyword "menu" I understand you.

>> Do you perhaps mean packages explicitly
>> installed (as opposed to auto-installed due to dependencies)?
>
> No. How many choices am I given.
> [I favor disabling "Recommends" in favor of moving the desired
> elements to "Depends" of custom metapackages.]

Seems you are mixing terms here:

"Recommends" and "Depends" is tied to packages, not menu items.

>> For each of your systems, what might make sense to share and discuss
>> without pushing those actual GBs of data over the wire is the output
>> of the following command for each environment:
>>
>>    apt-mark showmanual
>
> neither Squeeze install recognizes that as valid command.

Ah, right.  On that very very old system, apt-mark does not exist.

You can install aptitude and mark packages as auto-installed, but since
back then the mechanism was not yet integrated into core APT, the system
haven't flagged any packages as such so you will have to do the markup
yourself.

> My Jessie install responds with long list.

I suggested you to share that infor as a way for us to move forward
in developing a Blend.

If you don't want to do that, then what do you want here?

 - Jonas