Re: nginx

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
> Lee Azzarello schrieb am Montag, den 18. Januar 2010:
>
>> Excellent point! Any n00b can run scripts as root but it takes years
>> of time and dedication to show the maturity needed to be a true member
>> of the Debian community. Perhaps some instructions on the road to
>> maintaining a backport would be good to document as well? I believe
>> the more backporters there are the better Debian will become and the
>> talent pool will grow. Do you agree?
> No I don't I think the more debian maintainers we have Debian will become.
> (Read: that does mean maintainers, not DD's).
>
> I see Debian Backports as a service from maintainers to users - not from users
> to users.
>
> So the way is not starting with backports, its starting with Debian then
> maintaining a backport.

This point is much more important to make than the point of "I won't
include your backport, get lost". I think it's crucial to instruct
newbies how to get involved with Debian, rather then telling them
their work cannot help the community.

Perhaps a more pro-Debian sentiment among backporters would help? I
think this is very important for Debian's reputation as "The Universal
Operating System", versus "The Operating System For Experts". I think
backports fill an important role in the distro's accessability due to
the time consuming release process of Debian stable. Right now many
who is work with a production server on the internet may have a
backport installed, so for them, that's the value that Debian gave
them. Good packages that have the software they require.

--
Lee Azzarello