Re: nginx

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:11:34 -0700 Jan Ingvoldstad <frettled@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM, daniel
> <drmartens@gnu.univ.gda.pl<mailto:drmartens@gnu.univ.gda.pl>> wrote:
> Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > Lee Azzarello schrieb am Montag, den 18. Januar 2010:
> >
> >> I believe this email thread contradicts that sentiment, as Daniel
> >> went from newbie to backporter in a very short time when the right
> >> questions were answered.
> > And I believe that I will reject the backport because I don't think
> > he can maintain it properly. Maintaining is more than executing
> > some commands that sombody else told someone.
> >

> Fair enough, I got your point.
> I'll just build/maintain it for myself then, as I need it anyway.
> Thanks to all the folks for help and encouragement!
>
> It's repeated examples like these that make me realize why there are
> so few useful backports, and it also keeps me from contributing.
>
> Perhaps contribution will be appreciated one day, who knows.

I have to agree.  I find this attitude needlessly snobby.  Of all the
areas, backporting is the easiest.  It's the natural best place
for newbies start out and cut their teeth.  There has to be somewhere
for this to happen, unless those involved have forgotten how they got
started in the first place.

It's this kind of thing that causes "unofficial" backport web sites to
start up, and for a distro to switch from glibc to eglibc, and so forth.

My opinion.