Re: Progress report [Re: Debian Bullseye on Raspberry Pi 4 4GB?]

Hi Rick,

On 2021-02-21 21:58, Rick Thomas wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, at 11:49 AM, Reco wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 02:36:52PM -0500, Alan Corey wrote:
> That's why when you get a real time you adjust the times on your logged
> events.  There's the time you got the time fix, everything else is N
> microseconds before that back to when you started recording. So you record
> back to <time fix time> minus <recording duration>.

Yup. But by the time you get this "real time" you have other processes
(rpc.gssd, for instance) which already have managed to communicate with
someone (KDC), and are in the wrong state (krb5 time difference).

RTC solves this, "fake RTC" (i.e. storing a timestamp on reboot) solves
it to some extent, but nothing else does.

Reco

My goal is to replace my aging sheevaplug with something more modern.
The sheevaplug exists for the purpose of providing network services
(in particular, for the purposes of this discussion, NTP) to the 20 or
so computers on my home LAN.  To do that, it needs to have a reliable
source of accurate time (to a few tens of milliseconds) as soon after
boot as possible.

The machine I'd like to use is a Raspberry Pi4B or a Pi0W.  But
without an RTC it won't do the job.

Hence, I'm looking for an RTC module that can be easily added to a
Pi4B or Pi0W with minimal (ideally none) soldering, and with Debian
kernel support.  If the module also does GPS, so much the better!  But
that's not strictly necessary.  It would be very nice if it fits
inside the existing case for the Pi4B.

Do any of the devices that folks have mentioned here fit that bill?

Take a look at the following. No soldering required, and they fit in the
case nicely (for Pi4 at least).

Adafruit PiRTC - PCF8523 Real Time Clock for Raspberry Pi
(https://www.adafruit.com/product/3386)

Adafruit PiRTC - Precise DS3231 Real Time Clock for Raspberry Pi
(https://www.adafruit.com/product/4282)

Regards,

Leigh.