Re: found net prob, temp fixed. installed xfce4, how to autostart it?

On 26/09/17 19:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 26 September 2017 04:23:39 Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:09:02PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
Same hardware and base system here.You might need to add a login
manager - I'll check :)

Stock rocks64 stretch image

Just sudo su - as below.

Use tasksel to install LXDE - it "just works"

How about xfce4?  Its wm seems more complete. The question is which one
is the most likely to use the mali gfx drivers on an arm64?

It should not, on a modern distro, be necessary to mess around with installing components of X11 manually. I do fairly regularly find myself changing the display manager to make sure I've got XDMCP, the current best (in a shrinking field) appearing to be lightdm.

I've just been looking at this again and the problem appears to affect both the main screen and a remote X11 session. I've not tried over VNC, but this looks like being a desktop or possibly display manager problem rather than hardware or lower-level drivers: things like a graphical dialog(ue) warning that SSH has been enabled but the password is still set to the default appear, and at least parts of the display manager login work; going beyond that doesn't.

/var/log/syslog has some messages warning that some freedesktop.org stuff can't be found. I believe this is Raspbian-specific and as such is outside the scope of this mailing list.

That's really as far as I'm going, because while Raspbian Lite or pukka headless Debian is on my critical path having a desktop environment isn't. And right now my path is pretty darned critical...

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk