Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 22:16 +0100, mick wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:47:47 +0100
> Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> allegedly wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 20:39 +0100, mick wrote:
> > > Depends what you mean by "fast". But in real world usage (pulling a
> > > video file from store) it is about three times faster than an NSLU2.
> > > Consider the following tests using scp to grab a 1.1 GB video file
> > > (so some overhead in the encryption as opposed to a straight wire
> > > copy)
> >
> > In my experience the encryption and other overheads from ssh are a bit
> > more than 'some'. Just tested a big file copy from my Sheevaplug and I
> > get 6MB/s from scp, and 38MB/s over nfs.
> >

> :-)
>
> Yep - but both devices were treated the same.
>
> The point is the comparison between the two devices. The slug has a
> slow CPU, little memory and slow networking hardware. The DNS is
> faster (but not, I'll concede, "fast").

True. I guess the point I was thinking of is that when using ssh things
may well be limited by CPU performance, which, if the usecase you care
about is a NAS using say nfa, then something with a slower CPU but
better i/o (disk, network) may be more suitable.

I'm not saying that this is the case for the devices under discussion,
just putting it forward as a consideration.

--
Tixy