Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:02:47 -0400
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel@gmail.com> allegedly wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM, mick <mbm@rlogin.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:24:42 -0400
> > Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel@gmail.com> allegedly wrote:
> >

> >>       What about the DNS320? I have been thinking on getting one
> >> and seeing how it would play with debian or openwrt. Thoughts?
> >>

> > Good cheap choice. I got mine for about GBP 45.00 unpopulated (I
> > already had one 1TB disk and simply added another).
> >
> > Debian can be installed if you follow Jamie Lentin's advice at
> > http://jamie.lentin.co.uk/devices/dlink-dns325/ or you can simply
> > install in a chroot if you go the fonz-plug route
> > http://nas-tweaks.net/40/installation-of-the-fonz-funplug-0-5-for-ch3snas-ch3mnas-dns-323-and-many-more/
> >
> > The fonz-plug option allows you to keep the original firmware if
> > that is your preference.
> >
> > Mick
> >
>       That's good to know. Next time they are on sale I might snatch
> me one. How fast is it?

Depends what you mean by "fast". But in real world usage (pulling a
video file from store) it is about three times faster than an NSLU2.
Consider the following tests using scp to grab a 1.1 GB video file (so
some overhead in the encryption as opposed to a straight wire copy)

NSLU2

mick@home:/tmp$ time scp slug:/home/mick/videos/video-leo.mp4 .
video-leo.mp4
100% 1093MB   1.3MB/s   14:16

real	14m18.425s
user	0m52.451s
sys	0m15.109s

DNS320

mick@home:/tmp$ time scp nas:/home/mick/videos/video-leo.mp4 .
video-leo.mp4
100% 1093MB   3.6MB/s   05:00

real	5m0.248s
user	0m52.327s
sys	0m13.797s

The slugs have really slow network ports. I find the DNS plenty fast
enough to stream video to my Archos android tablet.

Mick

blog: baldric.net
fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312

Note that I have recently upgraded my GPG key see:
http://baldric.net/2012/07/20/gpg-key-upgrade/