Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 02:37:17AM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Nicola Bernardini [2012-07-20 05:42 +0200]:
> >
> > I gave up on my NSLU 2 which seems irremediably broken (my guess is that
> > the RAM is botched) and I would like to buy another NAS  in  that  price
> > range or whereabouts. And of course, I would like to be able  to  run  a
> > full Debian system on it. Debian  Squeeze  would  be  fine,  but  I  can
> > install Woody if need be. What do you think is a good  buy?
>
> The solidrun Cubox is nice hardware:
> http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox/
>
> Available new for $140, with real SATA (external drive) and
> world-class tiny. Non-free Vivante GPU could be annoying for media
> purposes but irrelvant for NAS-type activities.

In fact, I  was  already  thinking  of  taking  advantage  of  the  hdmi
interface to make it *also* be a streaming media server for my  children
(a must these days). Would it be annoying in that sense?

> 1Gb RAM will be an enjoyable step up from the 32MB of a SLUG :-) -
> Should keep you going for quite a few years.
>
> I've seen one running Ubuntu already so Debian should be fine, but I
> think at this moment in time you'll need to use a non-stock kernel:
> http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php/Debian_on_CuBox
> I'd expect that to get fixed reasonably quickly.
>
> Others have given plenty of sensible options - it seems we are spoiled
> for choice these days. If someone wanted to summarise this lot
> somewhere on the Debian Wiki, that would be useful.

I take this opportunity to really thank everybody who took the  time  to
respond. I was already thinking that, since the choice  is  so  wide,  I
wanted to build  a  little  db  of  all  options  to  be  able  to  make
comparisons. I will try to do this as fast as I  can  (very  busy  these
days as everybody else), and then I'll post back to have everybody check
on the results. Thanks again to all!

nicb

--
Nicola Bernardini