Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 02:37:17AM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Nicola Bernardini [2012-07-20 05:42 +0200]:
> >
> > I gave up on my NSLU 2 which seems irremediably broken (my guess is that
> > the RAM is botched) and I would like to buy another NAS  in  that  price
> > range or whereabouts. And of course, I would like to be able  to  run  a
> > full Debian system on it. Debian  Squeeze  would  be  fine,  but  I  can
> > install Woody if need be. What do you think is a good  buy?
> The solidrun Cubox is nice hardware:
> http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox/
> Available new for $140, with real SATA (external drive) and
> world-class tiny. Non-free Vivante GPU could be annoying for media
> purposes but irrelvant for NAS-type activities.

In fact, I  was  already  thinking  of  taking  advantage  of  the  hdmi
interface to make it *also* be a streaming media server for my  children
(a must these days). Would it be annoying in that sense?

> 1Gb RAM will be an enjoyable step up from the 32MB of a SLUG :-) -
> Should keep you going for quite a few years.
> I've seen one running Ubuntu already so Debian should be fine, but I
> think at this moment in time you'll need to use a non-stock kernel:
> http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php/Debian_on_CuBox
> I'd expect that to get fixed reasonably quickly.
> Others have given plenty of sensible options - it seems we are spoiled
> for choice these days. If someone wanted to summarise this lot
> somewhere on the Debian Wiki, that would be useful.

I take this opportunity to really thank everybody who took the  time  to
respond. I was already thinking that, since the choice  is  so  wide,  I
wanted to build  a  little  db  of  all  options  to  be  able  to  make
comparisons. I will try to do this as fast as I  can  (very  busy  these
days as everybody else), and then I'll post back to have everybody check
on the results. Thanks again to all!

Nicola Bernardini
Scuola di Musica Elettronica
Conservatorio C.Pollini Padova
e-mail: nicb@sme-ccppd.org
GPG fingerprint = 6AE6 AF21 E160 D9B3 396E  EBAC 906C CFAE 4D65 D910
Neither MS-Word nor MS-PowerPoint attachments please.