Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

+++ Nicola Bernardini [2012-07-20 05:42 +0200]:

> I gave up on my NSLU 2 which seems irremediably broken (my guess is that
> the RAM is botched) and I would like to buy another NAS  in  that  price
> range or whereabouts. And of course, I would like to be able  to  run  a
> full Debian system on it. Debian  Squeeze  would  be  fine,  but  I  can
> install Woody if need be. What do you think is a good  buy?

The solidrun Cubox is nice hardware:
http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox/

Available new for $140, with real SATA (external drive) and
world-class tiny. Non-free Vivante GPU could be annoying for media
purposes but irrelvant for NAS-type activities.

1Gb RAM will be an enjoyable step up from the 32MB of a SLUG :-) -
Should keep you going for quite a few years.

I've seen one running Ubuntu already so Debian should be fine, but I
think at this moment in time you'll need to use a non-stock kernel:
http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php/Debian_on_CuBox
I'd expect that to get fixed reasonably quickly.

Others have given plenty of sensible options - it seems we are spoiled
for choice these days. If someone wanted to summarise this lot
somewhere on the Debian Wiki, that would be useful.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/