Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:47:47 +0100
Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> allegedly wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 20:39 +0100, mick wrote:
> > Depends what you mean by "fast". But in real world usage (pulling a
> > video file from store) it is about three times faster than an NSLU2.
> > Consider the following tests using scp to grab a 1.1 GB video file
> > (so some overhead in the encryption as opposed to a straight wire
> > copy)
> In my experience the encryption and other overheads from ssh are a bit
> more than 'some'. Just tested a big file copy from my Sheevaplug and I
> get 6MB/s from scp, and 38MB/s over nfs.

Yep - but both devices were treated the same.

The point is the comparison between the two devices. The slug has a
slow CPU, little memory and slow networking hardware. The DNS is
faster (but not, I'll concede, "fast").

blog: baldric.net
fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312

Note that I have recently upgraded my GPG key see: