Re: Apache newbie: All the php4* packages want apache 1.* ?

* Matthew Wilcox (willy@debian.org) wrote :
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:53:16PM +0800, Andrew Shugg wrote:
> > This leads me to ask something I've been wondering for a while: with
> > php4 and modperl support for apache2 on the (near) horizon, do you
> > (Thom, willy etc) have any idea/plans on how long apache 1.3 will remain
> > a going concern within Debian?  Is the objective to resolve all those
> > old apache bugs or just basically start afresh with apache2?  (No willy,
> > this is not a dig at the size of your bug queue!)  I'm really just
> > wondering where most of the effort is going to go now.

I need to go through the apache 1.3 bug list at some point - now that I have
pretty stable packages that survive the autobuilding experience I think the
time is right - and work out which bugs will still apply to apache2.
(hopefully, not too many)

> I'm going to continue putting in a certain amount of effort on apache 1.3
> until Thom tells me apache2 has completely superseded it.  I encourage
> everyone to beat on apache2 as hard as they can -- I would love it
> if we could get rid of apache 1.3 before sarge, but i doubt this will
> be possible.

I agree that this would be nice - but the main problem is that all modules
will need to be ported to apache2 - it's not just a case of a recompile.
We'll need to keep an apache1 package around even after apache2 becomes the
main apache package, I guess.
It really only starts being viable to move to apache2 after both modperl and
php have stable releases that work with apache2 and that hasn't happened
yet.

Cheers,
-Thom

--
Thom May -> thom@debian.org

<Gman> hum, I wonder if the cargo bar is looking for staff?
<thom> gman: cargo bar sydney has an insane staff turn over rate :)
<jdub> yeah, for turning over in the morning and seeing what you've woken up with.
<hadess> jdub woke up with Gman in his bed :P