Apache newbie: All the php4* packages want apache 1.* ?

I know almost nothing about Apache 1, or Apache 2.  I've installed
apache2-common and apache2-mpm-prefork, and the basic webserver is running.

I'd like to do some PHP4 scripting, but I don't know which packages I need.
The packages whose names all start with php4 depend on apache-common,
which seems to be the 1.something server.

Newbie question that I can't find in the archives or the docs:  what do
I need to install and do in order to get PHP4 working with Apache2?

Much thanks,
Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002