Re: newby trying to go debian

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 01:55:47PM -0200, Rodrigo Alexandre wrote:
> hi all again. i'm just posting here to keep you informed what's been
> since the last messages. the saga is still in its very begin, but
> seems to succed in a short future.
>
> so, got a couple of majour problems trying the RC1 (nov 2006) build,
> esp no SATA disk recognition and no pppoe connection, thus impossible
> to carry on the netinst.

Which SATA chipset?

I think pppoe is actually available in expert mode, but I might remember
wrong.  I have never used it for an install.  I have always had another
device handle pppoe during installs.

> i've found a non official weekly build, can't remember the url now,
> but it was something dot jp, that could finally recognize my hard
> drive and proceeded much better with the network conf, but still could
> not connect.

Probably a newer kernel with newer drivers.

> then i decided that i should go for the full cd image, because
> apparently pppoe isnt the smoothest way to go etch. thats exactly
> where this saga is now, downloading the first cd image from the weekly
> build (from debian.org). After the download i should be able to
> install the base system with only the first cd, right?, and download
> other stuff later on, with the machine up and running... at least
> that's what i hope!
>
> thank you all, i'll feedback you guys as soon as there's something new to
> tell.

Try expert mode and see if you can load an optional pppoe installer
module.