Re: newby trying to go debian

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:31:32AM -0600, Jaime Ochoa Malag?n wrote:
> Testing have a small protection against bugs: sid...
>
> I strongly suggest, if you don't know what are you doing, go with etch
> while you don't need something in "Lenny" because just once Etch has
> become stable sid will be break certainly.

And when you've installed it, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list so that
everywhere it says "testing" you change it to say "etch".  That way
you'll stay with etch (which will be stable).  Otherwise you'll follow
testing (which will then be Lenny) and it will undergo rapid change as a
lot of pent-up changes that were held back because of the code freeze
swarm into Lenny/testing, cousing it to be unreliable for a while.

What I did back when etch became testing and sarge became stable was set
aside two partitions for Linux -- one for sarge and one for etch,
organized as dual-boot (actually triple-boot with Windows).  When
etch hit the xfree86->xorg transition and basically stopped working I
still had a stable system (sarge) to get essential work done.
I still have sarge around, and do security updates frequently.

-- hendrik